So.. i wish I could say that I went to a medieval jousting tournament this evening, however due to an unfortunate lack of wheels I would have been unable to get back in time for the last bus. Sad times. I did, however, spend the day in Siena today which was lovely. The coach trip there was pretty special, it's got to be my favourite way to travel. Possibly as I associate coaches with the excitement of school trips rather than the train, which I associate with going into Stirling to buy socks. The countryside was gorgeous, typically Tuscan; rolling hills populated by cyprus groves and stone farmhouses. The town itself was very different to Florence. Much more rugged looking. The buildings were all the same dark brown stone, which is where the colour "burnt sienna" comes from (a little fact for ya.)
This week I've seen a lot of the big sights in Florence. Mostly I went with other people from the hostel, but its also really nice to just go exploring. My map-reading skillz are getting increasingly badass.
The hostel is brilliant. We get free food every evening around half 6, and sometimes everyone is still there 6 hours later. i seem to be immune to the popular hostel pastime of accent-ripping, as any attempts at a Scottish accent begin to strongly resemble an Indian accent, thus causing the slagger to become the slag-ee...
Ooh I also saw the David today, which was more impressive than I thought it would be. The problem is, there are to-scale replicas of the statue all over the city, and I was really pissed off when I accidentally found one as I thought that it had ruined the surprise. But not the case. There's just something about the real thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment